We’ve been a little absent lately, here at Life In Happy Hues! Between styling super stellar spaces and prepping the pretty projects coming down the pike, we’ve let this corner of our world slide a little. Oops!
We haven’t forgotten you though, friends! We’ve got big plans for Life in Happy Hues, so stay tuned for a revamp and reimagination! Besos!
C. McCarthy here! Rested and rejuvenated from my recent trip abroad with my handsome BF. We traveled to Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen and Berlin. Consider this post a not so humble brag!
My favorite feature of my May-cation was using it as an excuse to splurge on a brand new camera. I opted for the Canon 6D with a 50mm 1.4f lens. This blog article served as my gateway into the “protographer” world and I decided to follow Mike’s advice and get the starter kit. I had no idea how insufficient my iPhone had been for capturing the moments of my life until this! We highly recommend investing in a high quality camera and documenting everything and anything with it!
Here are a few snaps of our trip:
Scandinavians have the art of style mastered. Each city had a rich and unique culture and history. We were lucky to stay in these cute neighborhood where all the artists and hip 20 and 30 somethings live. Our Airbnb hosts bombarded us with cafe recommendations, local shops they love and transportation tips (which was essential). Each apartment we stayed in was charming, clean, modern, and effortlessly chic. Here’s a peek!:
Photo Credit: ME!
Scandinavia is such a hidden gem! I was blown away by my trip. You won’t regret it if you ever get a chance to take a visit to the vikings!
We’re not usually “before and after” posters. For one thing, we love to share only truly beautiful images with our truly beautiful readership.
Another reason we don’t often “before and after” brag is, like a magician, we want the magic of a space to stay a bit of a mystery!
However, we are so thrilled with how beautiful this dramatic bathroom remodel turned out, we can’t help but share of few of our tips and secrets and show you how we pull it off without a glitch!
1. Wallpaper, wallpaper, wallpaper. A powder room is the “jewelry box” of the home! Go bold. You’ve heard it a million times from designers everywhere, so jump in! The water’s fine, we promise. ;)
2. A remodel can be expensive. After hiring a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter, a painter, a wallpaper installer and a designer (wink, wink), your bill could be pretty, pretty high for just 100 sq. ft. or less. Know where to save and where to splurge. We went with inexpensive cabinetry and counters to save mega bucks, which we applied toward Kelly Wearstler wallpaper and Kohler hardware.
3. Layer your neutrals! Neutrals don’t clash, but it’s a common misconception. Here we have brown, gray, cream and black coexisting in harmony. Vary the textures and sheen and they play well together every time.
4. Consider storage. DUH! You’d be surprised how easily clutter can be avoided by opting for drawers instead of doors and keeping eye sores tucked away!
5. Lastly, accessorize with pretty storage containers, plants and plush towels! Finish with a lovely room spray and, voila!
Photography credit: Hunter Kerhart
It’s hard to believe that the seasons are changing again already…and that spring is a thing that is HAPPENING! We have it easy over here in Southern California, but we also have plenty of friends and family throughout the country (Boulder! Indianapolis! NYC!) who are pretty stoked right about now to finally put the snow aside.
In anticipation of that, we created a little toast of sorts to celebrate all things light and airy. :)
You know him. The start up guy/girl. The early-adopter wiz-kid who knew all the right people in Silicon Valley to launch his best selling app and is now fodder for Tech Crunch, Inc, and Entreprenuer Magazine.
Great! Now go tell that person and tell that person to tell that persons friends that we are now their go-to designers for San Francisco start-ups.
That’s right! Caitlin & Caitlin start up edition is here and after having so much fun designing the headquarters of our latest tech client in San Fran, we are super excited to make more friends with the Zuckerbergs of the world!
Here’s 3 reasons and 5 photos why:
1. They appreciate design and details.
2. They like our fun ideas, like using hanging chairs!
3. They live and die by clean and tailored. Which is the last word in our book too.
Photography by the lovely and talented Dagi Cueppers
A few days after Valentines Day, we thought we’d share our love letter to the propellants or our partnership. Here it is: our DECORATION DECLARATION. Because a life in design is more than a vocation, it’s a love affair.
It’s been awhile since we’ve written a proper post (oops…!) but we’ve been swamped with SO many new projects over here, including a big one that we’ll be debuting in the spring! So, stay tuned for that. :)
In the throes of it all, we’ve had to say farewell to one of our favorite extracurriculars–writing for The Effortless Chic. Check out our last post here on one of our current design crushes!
We’re so excited to share new developments with you in the coming months! Meanwhile…we leave you with this thought. It’s totally working for us.